Pike Place Market Old and New



I was going to tell you about corn bread pudding, but first I want to introduce a very exciting place. The Pike Place Market in Seattle is a popular antique place where people have gathered to buy and sell farmers' products for over 100 years. I went there for a future blog post, but now I have the assignment of comparing one of my pictures with an old picture from the University of Washington Libraries Digital Collection. I chose a picture from 1917, showing a group of vegetable sellers:



(For a bigger view of this picture, follow this link.)

I had taken this picture when I visited Pike Place Market:


I took this picture in a similar place as the one above. If you look at the old picture, you can see the sign "Sanitary Public Market" on a building across the street. If you look closely at my picture, you can see windows in the back. I remember seeing the Sanitary Public Market building across the street from where I took this picture. So I believe that I was very close to the same place.

The first thing you notice when looking at the two pictures is that they both have nicely organized piles of vegetables and fruits, with signs showing how wonderful their prices are. Behind the tables, the salesmen are looking bored. This kind of job hasn't changed very much! The old picture has more people behind the table. I wonder why this is? Maybe today the salesman buys the produce from the farmers, but in the past the farmers sold it themselves. The most interesting part is that my picture has many more kinds of produce. In the past, it was probably much harder to bring food from different places, so maybe they could not have as many choices.

It is very interesting to me to think that I was standing in almost the same place as the person who took the other picture almost 100 years ago. It is also very interesting to think that the same things are still happening in this place.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
What Is American Food? © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger