Corn Bread Pudding



When I had my first Thanksgiving in America, my friend made a dish called corn bread pudding. I had never heard of corn bread, and he told me that this is not like "regular" corn bread. (Maybe I will make regular corn bread for a future post!) I know the words "corn" and "bread", but I had never heard of pudding. I researched on Wikipedia, which said "In the United States, pudding characteristically denotes a sweet milk-based dessert similar in consistency to egg-based custards." Now I was really confused. I know what custard is (I have made them myself), and this is nothing like that. So corn bread pudding is neither corn bread nor pudding!

But whatever it is, it is delicious. Here is a video of Alton Brown making it on Good Eats. As you can see, it is pretty easy to make.


Here is how you make it.

First, get a large frying pan that can go in the oven. Then here are the ingredients:
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 2 cans cream-style corn
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ground black pepper
  • 4 slices French bread


First, finely dice your onion.

Then heat the butter in your frying pan.

and cook the onions, thyme and rosemary slowly until you can see through the onions.

Meanwhile, cut the French bread into small cubes. My friend told me he likes to remove the outside part too.

Then put the cream-style corn, baking powder, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cream and eggs, and stir them together. Finally, add the bread and mix again.

When the onions are done, make a layer in the bottom of the pan and pour the mix onto them.

Then put the pan into the oven and cook at 350° for 50 minutes.

Here is what it looks like when it is done!

Take a big slice and enjoy your meal!

It will be a little brown on the top, moist and soft in the middle. It is a salty dish, rather than sweet or sour, but with a little sweetness. It feels like a soft bread, but it is more delicate. It has a nice corn taste with small pieces of corn inside. The onions at the bottom are very soft and sweet, with a strong herb flavor. It goes very well with a piece of meat like pork, chicken, beef, and of course turkey.

2 comments:

Heng said...

Very interesting video!
The pudding looks great. I am gonna have a try! Maybe I will change onion into something else...

Saigon said...

The onions are the best part! They don't taste like regular onions. They are sweet and soft and full of flavor.

Post a Comment

 
What Is American Food? © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger